Poco M2 Pro was launched in India on July 7th 2020 at ₹ 13999 its almost been a year after launch. I have purchased this phone (6GB Ram and 64GB storage variant) at ₹ 12750 from the Flipkart Big Billion days sale last year. So here are my thoughts after using this phone for around 8 months.
First, let's see the specifications of the Poco M2 Pro
- Body: Plastic frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back, splash-proof, 165.8x76.7x8.8 mm, 209g.
- Display: 6.67" IPS LCD, 1080 x 2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi, HDR10.
- Rear camera: Primary: 48MP, f/1.8 aperture, 1/2.0" sensor size, 0.8µm pixel size, PDAF. Ultrawide: 8MP, f/2.2, 1/4", 1.12µm pixels. Macro camera: 5MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm. Depth sensor: 2MP; [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected] video recording, EIS.
- Front camera: 16MP, f/2.5 aperture, 1.0µm pixels. 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS: Android 10; MIUI 11.
- Chipset: Snapdragon 720G (8nm): Octa-core (2x2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver), Adreno 618 GPU.
- Memory: 4/6GB of RAM; 64/128GB UFS 2.1 storage; dedicated microSD slot.
- Battery: 5,020mAh; 33W fast charging.
- Connectivity: LTE-A; USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0; FM radio; IR blaster.
- Misc: Side-mounted fingerprint reader; 3.5mm audio jack.
It is a not handy use phone sure as it weighs 209 g and 8.8 mm thick, after using it for more than 15- 20 minutes there is a pain in my hand. It features Gorilla Glass 5 in the back and front. The backside is a fingerprint magnet so I always use it with a case to protect its glass body and it also looks good as there are no fingerprints on the case. There is a big Camera Bump also in the back that gets scratches if not taken care of. It is a big phone, sometimes it falls from my hand.
It has a 6.67 inch big Full HD IPS display which is of very good quality at this price. Outdoor and Indoor visibility is good.
This phone had support for Widevine L1 earlier which got removed in future updates for many users (also mine got downgraded to L3). I didn't like this as now I cannot stream Netflix and Amazon Prime in Full HD on this phone.
It has a Huge 5020 mah battery which lasts for around 1 day at heavy usage and two days for average usage. But there is a catch. This phone supports 33 watts fast charging so this one charges 0 to 100 % in around 80 minutes which is awesome at this price and charging plug-in animation is amazing but when I charge with its inbox 33W charger this phone battery drains faster and screen on time is reduced to 6 – 10 hours. But I started using 10W chargers since then I usually get around 8 – 10 hours on my daily use.
This phone comes with MIUI 11 android 10 and has received MIUI 12 updates. After using this phone for this long I can say this phone has bugs and not well-optimised software as it lags when doing multitasking. It has bad RAM management. In day to day tasks, it works well. The software experience is not up to the mark.
This phone has Snapdragon 720G Chipset. At this price, it has very good CPU and GPU performance This phone does not heat and thermal throttle even on heavy gaming.
The camera is average in this smartphone. Its main 48MP sensor produces decent photos in good lighting conditions but struggles at night or in low light. 8MP ultra-wide-angle camera also does the job done but image quality is not good as compare to the main sensor. Its portrait shots are good. Its 5MP macro sensor is excellent at this price it produces very good quality close up shots.
This phone features carrier aggregation support 4G+ which gives better internet speed than normal 4G. Call quality and network reception are good. It has dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi support which supports max 866Mbps speed. The wifi reception is also good.
This phone has a very loud Loudspeaker for listening to music and watching videos it gives a nice experience.
The earpiece is also loud, so I did not face any issues during a call.
IR blaster feature is a handy feature in this phone, with this we can control TVs, Fans, and other appliances which supports IR Remote. MicroSD slot is also very useful because only 45GB is available out of 64GB storage.
Overall it is a nice device at this price and I have a mixed experience using this some bad and some good.